Sunday, April 10, 2005

Not Complaining for Trade Justice...

"Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that generation."

Ok, so here's the thing. This week is the Global Week of Action for Trade Justice. Its a very special week. People all over the world will be fasting, keeping silence, shouting, singing, sleeping rough and protesting in the hope of bringing trade justice to the political and social fore. At the end of this week a group of Glasgowegian young people will be taking a bus down to London where they will stand in vigil over night with hundreds of others in the hope that the next morning the UK government will 'Wake Up to Trade Justice'.

In short, its brilliant.

Tomorrow lots of people are taking part in a fast, either forgoing food or speech for one day. They will be sponsored, not with money, but with votes for trade justice. I'm a little reluctant to do these, as I'm knackered and struggling enough as it is. So I thought 'What would be a struggle to give up that I do all the time?'. Which means that for the next week I will not complain once about exams. Not on MSN, not on the phone, not to my poor, long-suffering flatmates, not to anyone, in return for your vote for trade justice. So go on, go and vote!

I know its tacky, and maybe even naive, but I have the sneaky suscpicion that the celebrities are right. Perhaps, together, we can Make Poverty History.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home