Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Womens Day


Fifty years ago to the day, thousands of women marched to parliament in South Africa and delivered the Women's Charter, demanding rights for all women of the nation. On tv today, Baleka Mbete, the speaker of parliament was talking, and it was pointed out that she was amongst them. It was this fact that astounded me the most. And then somehow shouted 'Watinti bafazi, watinti bogodu' (you strike a woman, you strike a rock), and I started to shout along.

Earlier in the day I was feeling a little regretful that I had said I would take out B and L for the day, thinking that perhaps I would prefer to be sewing or beading or gardening. But as I walked down the road to fetch them, I swelled with pride. What better way to spend women's day than with two of the most amazing young women I know. So it was that we spent this most wonderful of holidays searching out school uniform and sitting in McDonalds. I wouldn't have had it any other way. And for once I allowed myself to congratulate myself - here I was, taking two severly disabled kids out to a crowded public place, one of them with behaviour problems, a tempremental electric wheelchair and epilepsy, and not only did we manage, we actually had a nice time.

When we returned to B's disabled children's home, I gave each of the older girls a kiss on the cheek and wished them happy women's day. They all beamed back at me.

A good day.

Happy women's day to all the incredible women in my life. Goodness knows there are many of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger jodds said...

I love you, Anna my dear, you put everything into perspective.

xxx

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home